performs both as a composer and pianist.
Works of Ari Romppanen have been performed (a few examples):
– Tampere Biennale, Siba-Fest, Musica Nova Helsinki, UNM Reykjavik and Oslo, 9th International Piano Festival in Espoo, Porvoo Summer Sounds, Viitasaari Time of Music, Maj Lind Piano Forum, PianoEspoo, 2D2N Festival Odessa, Aino Ackté Chamber Music Festival, Joensuu Music Festival, Alte Schmiede Musikwerkstatt Wien, Music & Earth International Competition in Sofia…
– Broadcasted on Doordarshan national TV-channel India, WQXR Q2 radio station USA…
– In Finland and other nordic countries, Estonia, Germany, India, USA, Argentina, Ukraine, Austria, Bulgaria, Japan…
– Composition concerts: Imatra 2015, Helsinki 2017, Joensuu 2018
– At Kierrot Festival produced by Cirko – a series of experiential and experimental physically distanced art events combining theatre, dance, contemporary circus and music. Online festival 2021
– ‘Brasstasy’ for brass quintet in Brass 5: ‘In Brass Mood’ (JJVCD-08), 2002
– ‘Lehmä karkaa’ in ‘First operas – five animations’ (DVD), 2007
– ‘Rho Cas’ studio recording by YLE broadcasting company, 2008
– Several concert recordings by YLE
– Arts Promotion Centre Finland
– Pro Musica Foundation
– The Finnish Music Foundation (MES)
– Sibelius Foundation of the Society of Finnish Composers
– Armas Paloheimo Foundation
– Arts Council of North Karelia
– Awarded in the composition competition of 9th International Piano Festival in Espoo, Finland, 2007 (Rho Cas)
– Awarded in the Piano composition competition arranged by Tampere piano competition, Tampere 2021 (Kiku)
– Finnish-Japanese Society since 2021
– Finnish Composers’ Copyright Society Teosto since 2015
– Society of Finnish Composers since 2005
Studies and academic degrees
– Master of Music 2008 (Composition), Sibelius Academy (composition studies with Erkki Jokinen, harmony and counterpoint studies with Tapio Nevanlinna).
– Bachelor of Music 2003 (Music pedagogue, Piano), North Karelia University of Applied Sciences (studied piano i.a. with Matti Haapasalo and Janne Mertanen).
– Music Instructor 1998 (Piano), Joensuu Conservatory.
– Composition masterclass: Porvoo Sävellyspaja 2008 with Jouni Kaipainen and Jukka Tiensuu
– Founder and music coordinator of FinJa Music, music section of Finnish-Japanese Society, together with professor Seppo Kimanen and Dr. Lasse Lehtonen. FinJa Music promotes Japanese contemporary music in Finland and maintains connection with its partner society, Japan Finland Contemporary Music Society in Tokyo.
– KIERROT – collaborative, experiental and experimental online festival 2021
– ‘Academy of Artistic Thinking’ 2018-2020. A collaborative project to develop dramaturgical and critical thinking and to bring together performing artists, University of Arts Helsinki and Cirko – Center for New Circus
– Working residency in Berlin in April 2017
– Working residency in Buenos Aires in spring 2006 (invited by the Finnish Embassy in Argentina and the university of Morón).
– Awarded in the 5th open piano contest in Petrozavodsk, Russia, 1996
– Performed both as a pianist and a chamber musician, and has given first performances also for works by other composers.
– Conservatory of Joensuu, Emil Holmström, Kai Nieminen, Arto Satukangas, Sari Blå, Aino Ackté Chamber Music Festival, Janne Mertanen, Eriko Takahashi, among others, have commissioned works from Ari Romppanen.
Profile of Ari Romppanen in Music Finland